Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Seeing West & Clear At The Fort Worth Omni Convention Center Hotel

The best Fort Worth blog, about Fort Worth, that I've seen, definitely isn't mine. The best that I know of is called West & Clear. So named after the two like named forks of the Trinity River, which become one on the north end of Downtown Fort Worth.

A rather scenic confluence that will be obliterated if the Trinity River Vision ever becomes clear.

Awhile back I verbalized my disdain over Fort Worth's new Omni Convention Center Hotel.

West & Clear are fans of the new building. They verbalize their appreciation of the new Hotel here. They also mention my disdain for the Hotel.

I've not seen the inside of the new Hotel. I probably will like it when I see it. My only problem with the building is all those huge balconies sticking out from the sides that look like scaffolding from the distance. To my architecturally untrained eyes they look goofy. And dangerous.

Other than that, I like the look of the building, the way it matched sleek modern tower with the stone-faced non-tower part. The shape looks slender, vulnerable in the wind, like a sail on a ship.
If only someone had said no to those balconies. I fear someone will fall from one. Or jump. Or drop something, injuring someone below. Causing a lengthy closure, like what happened after drownings in the Water Gardens, while a fix to the dangerous balconies is found.

I hope I'm wrong.

No comments: