Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Mom & Dad Won't Take Off Their Cowboy Hats

I had me another day with Mom and Dad today. I picked them up, this morning, before 11. We drove up 360 to the town of Grapevine, then by the Great Wolf Lodge, en route to the Gaylord Texan Resort and Convention Center. The Christmas decorations were still up at the Gaylord, so Mom and Dad got to see Santa on his power boat pulling his reindeer on skis.

Leaving the Gaylord we drove across Grapevine Dam to Rockledge Park for the first photo-op of the day. Mom and Dad have really taken to wearing their cowboy hats. I think it helps them feel like they are fitting in with the natives.

After Rockledge we drove to see Austin Ranch in daylight. That's where I'd gone to a Christmas party in early December. I had never seen it in daylight and did not realize it actually is a ranch, of sorts.

After Austin Ranch it was on to Costco for a light free sample lunch. Then to check out Southlake Town Center. Then it was time for a QT stop for liquids, like coffee.

Then up to Bob Jones Park, looking at overly large houses along the way, including a perplexing castle. After driving around the Bob Jones Park zone we headed south down White Chapel Road to a REALLY BIG HOUSE zone. Then on to the Grapevine Highway, heading to Penneys at the Northeast Mall.

After way too much shopping, it was then on to the Airport Freeway, heading to the Stockyards, to Riscky's BBQ for All You Can Eat BBQ Ribs.

I dropped Mom and Dad off in front of Riscky's,
parked and ran back to them. They thought it too cold to sit outside, so inside we went. Our waitress was Brittney. She forgot our BBQ sauce. Mom didn't like her ribs til I asked Brittney if we could have some Riscky's Sauce. I like the ribs without sauce.

I ate several jalapenos, which led to my Mom biting in to one. That did not go well. Apparently she felt they were quite hot. I just thought they were tasty.

We went several rounds of getting more ribs and then it was over. Riscky's has added bone buckets since my last visit. The bone bucket quickly filled up, as you can see on the left.

Leaving the Stockyards zone, I could see I-35 was gridlock, so I drove backroads to this weird part of Haltom City that has all these wrecking yards and junky looking stuff. Very Third Worldly. Entering that zone there was a big anti-union protest group. Mom thought it looked dangerous and that we shouldn't proceed. I laughed and told her it was harmless.

Eventually we exited the Third World and re-entered civilization at Gateway Park. I showed Mom and Dad Fort Woof. There were a lot of dogs running around.

We left Gateway Park and drove Randoll Mill across a very old, narrow bridge. Mom kept being appalled by how many times we crossed the Trinity River. She was concerned as to how these people could afford to build so many bridges to cross one river.

It was then time to get on the freeway and drive Mom and Dad back to their current home in Arlington.

Tomorrow we are going to Dallas, to the Farmers Market. And then to McDonald's. They remembered and liked going to the Dallas Farmers Market on their last visit, but neither remembers going to one of the world's most unique McDonald's, so annointed by both me and the Travel Channel. I'll probably throw in a few other things to see in Dallas too. Maybe we'll drive by George and Laura's new house.

At Riscky's today my Dad announced they will be returning in 2015. Their last visit was in October, 2001, then this visit in January 2009. So, I guess the next logical date, in the sequence, is 2015. I don't know what month, though. I'm getting older. I don't know if I'll be able to keep up with them.

1 comment:

FAPORT International said...

Hey nice story of your mom and dad, may they happy ever...
i like your post and really good pictures..