Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Jackie Ethel Joan: Women of Camelot

Along with most of the rest of America I'd grown sort of tired of the Kennedy's quite some time ago. I don't remember, exactly when I developed a strong disdain for Teddy Kennedy. Likely it was over his Chappaquiddick dissembling.

I'm finding Caroline Kennedy's attempt to be anointed Hillary's replacement sort of embarrassing. She does not have the gift of easy articulation that her dad and brother and mother were blessed with. I remember thinking Caroline was a bit lacking in the swift wits department, years ago, when she and John Jr. were being interviewed by Barbara Walters and Caroline could not remember, "you know, uh, those words, famous words, you know, uh, that my dad said in his inauguration speech."

Unlike most of America, Caroline was unable to remember "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."

Last week, despite my supposed disdain for the Kennedy's, I read Jackie Ethel Joan: Women of Camelot, by J. Randy Taraborreli. Reading this book I felt almost like some sort of voyeur, seeing history from the inside, as the Kennedy's experienced it, particularly Jackie.

I had no idea Bobby Kennedy was also a heavy duty unfaithful husband. I figured with all those kids he and Ethel had, how could Bobby find time for Marilyn Monroe or other women. Apparently I was wrong.

But, the worst for shameless, shameful behavior is Teddy. I did not know an awful lot about Joan, except for the sensational tabloid, found drunk on the streets type stories. By the time I finished this book, I really liked Joan. Teddy Kennedy did her wrong in so many ways, for so many years, it's appalling.

I'm reading another book about the Kennedy's now, called Sons of Camelot by Laurence Leamer. A recurring theme in this book is the Kennedy penchant for extremely risky behavior. That risky behavior's end result is many of the Kennedy tragedies. Driving drunk off a bridge, womanizing, flying in bad conditions (the demise of at least 3 Kennedys), refusing police protection, driving drunk or drugged.

So, when I finished the Women of Camelot I was curious what Joan and Ethel looked like now. Joan was pretty much a beauty queen when she was younger, Ethel not so much. Some of the 21st century photos of Joan are just sad, but there are some where she looks pretty darn good. Some of Ethel are down right scary. Ethel is 80 now. Joan is 72.

When Bobby Kennedy was murdered, Ethel was about 4 months pregnant. That baby was born December 12, 1968 and named Rory. Rory was scheduled to be married on July 16, 1999. Her cousin, John F. Kennedy Jr. crashed his plane and died on his way to Rory's wedding.

I guess if Bobby and Ethel had stopped reproducing after having 9 kids, there is a chance John Jr. might still be alive today. I say, might be, because he would have had almost 10 more years, by this point in time, to have done himself in by some other reckless behavior.

That is Ethel and Rory Kennedy in the picture at the top. Rory looks just like her dad. Spooky.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That picture of Joan makes you want to ask "where's the adams apple"?