Sunday, January 18, 2009

I'm Leaving Texas And Heading To Oz

This coming July I'm planning on ending my Texas Exile for 6 months to be exiled in Australia instead.

As in for 6 months I'll be living off the coast of Queensland on the Islands of the Great Barrier Reef, my homebase will be on Hamilton Island, which is part of Australia's Whitsunday Islands.

I'll be working for Tourism Queensland. My job is "Caretaker of the Islands of the Great Barrier Reef." But I really won't be doing any caretaking.

What I will be doing is explore around the islands, above and below water, going to places like Qualia on Hamilton Island for a spa treatment, do some bushwhacking, feed some fish, fly with the aerial postal service and whatever I feel like doing.

And taking video and pictures of what I see and do. Then writing a blog about my ongoing 6 month experience, with a video diary and photo gallery.

And now for the best part. Tourism Queensland is paying all my transportation costs, plus all my other costs while on the islands. And on top of that, they are paying me $100,000, for 6 months of fun. If some emergency comes up, back in the states, I can fly back to attend to it. But at my own expense.

You can go here and see what my new home zone looks like....

1 comment:

E. Kristie said...

Uh! You got that job!?! Lucky! Well, they picked a great blogger for it!

Congratulations!